Stair Glass Railings Unveiled: Style Tips and Safety Measures
The glass railings for stairs enhance the look of your space, be it at home or at work, offering the desired functionality, too. As these railings offer a unique blend of sophistication and transparency, they have been in huge demand and popularity in recent years. The glass railings add flair to your space, making it stand out. Thus, if you look forward to installing glass railings for the staircase, you must know certain styling techniques, safety precautions, and more.
Glass Railings for Stairs: A Secure Choice
If you are sceptical about the use of glass railings for your stairs and are concerned about their durability, then here’s what you must know:
- Use of Tempered Safety Glass
The glass railings use tempered safety glass, making the surface durable and strong. Such type of glass is often stronger than normal glass and does not break in sharp shards, in a rare case of breakage. Thus, tempered safety glass makes your railing durable.
- Safe for Kids and Pets
In contrast to many other railing solutions, glass railings do not have any gaps or bars that a child or animal could slip through or get caught into. The glass railings are constructed a certain way so no kids or pets can climb them easily. It helps reduce the probability of accidents.
- Glass Railings Do Not Rot or Decay
The glass keeps its integrity and is firmly fixed in place; it does not rot or decay. Railings made of metals usually rot or decay after some time. The glass railings are made of premium quality fasteners, which improve the durability and load resistance of the glass railings.
Styling Tips for Glass Railings
If you are looking forward to installing glass railings for the stairs, here are some styling tips that will come in handy:
- At Work
When installing a glass railing for the staircase at work, consider the ones that add a sleek, professional look to the space. You may opt for a frameless or a semi-frameless glass railing to give your workplace a sophisticated look. You may try using frosted glass for the railings to enhance the aesthetics. Ensure the decor of your workplace gels with glass railings; hence, avoid textured furniture; instead, use a brown, wooden decor.
- At Home
When getting glass railings for the staircase at home, you can equip it with wooden hardware to bring that cosy vibe to the space. Frosted or etched glass railings may add to the flair of the stairs. You can mix and match hardware materials, like a combination of glass and metal accents, to create a unique look.
Glass Railing for Stairs: Safety Measures
Although glass railings are durable and safe, it is important to take some safety measures to avoid any accidents:
- To avoid falls or slips, ensure the staircase steps comprise non-slip surfaces. It is even more important if kids, older adults or pets are around.
- Ensure you install glass railings that comply with standard structure codes and regulations. It ensures good quality of the railing, enhancing its safety quotient. For instance, use laminated glass made of several layers, including an interlayer, reducing the risk of injury.
- If you have kids around, adding a safety gate at the top and bottom of the stairs is helpful to avoid any potential accidents.
- Ensure that your glass railings use weatherproof seals and gaskets, maintaining the integrity and strength of the glass railing construction.
- Get the glass railings installed by professionals as they understand the intricacies of glass railing installation. They ensure that the railings are appropriately installed and fixed to the structure using appropriate fasteners.
Glass Railing Standard Dimensions
Glass railings for the stairs must be of certain dimensions to ensure safety and durability. Two important factors that hold a lot of significance in glass railing dimensions are the height and thickness of the railing.
- The height of the glass railing must be as per the regulations governed by the International Building Code (IBC) and International Residential Code (IRC). According to the regulations published, the height of the glass railings for commercial applications must be 42” high. For residential applications, the height of the glass railings must be 36” for the stairways and 39” to 42” for balconies or other spaces.
- If the glass railing is being used as a pool guard, the height of the railing must be 48”. Thus, it is always recommended to take advice from professionals before installing a glass railing for the staircase.
- The IBC or IRC does not govern the thickness of the glass railings. Most tempered glass comes in ½’’ thickness, while the laminated glass comes in 9/16” thickness.
Thus, it is always better to ensure that the glass railings you aim to use for your staircase meet the mentioned dimension requirements. Having glass railings that align with these requirements ensures your safety and enhances the overall look of the space.
Glass Railings: Cleaning and Maintenance
Here are some tips to clean and maintain your glass railings at the staircase:
- Glass railings can be cleaned using the same cleaning agents that you use on glass windows or mirrors. Using a microfiber cleaning cloth is better to keep the glass railing streak-free.
- You’ll probably need to clean your glass railing more frequently if it’s on the exterior. If your glass railing is inside, dust it as frequently as possible.
- Your glass railing might require a more thorough spring cleaning if you reside in a chilly region. Glass railings can be thoroughly cleaned using a pressure washer. Always begin with low pressure when using a pressure washer. Then, gradually apply more pressure as required.
- After cleaning the dirt and debris with a liquid cleanser, you should clean the glass railing again with a dry microfiber cloth. The glass railing might have a ‘difficult-to-reach’ part, including the railing clamps. To access that difficult-to-reach area, never lean over your glass guardrail. Purchase an extension sweeper that will let you reach the spot instead.
Every household or business environment looks better with stair glass railings. Even though there are many distinct designs, customisation possibilities will excite you. Glass blends well with any room decor and complements various colour schemes and architectural designs. As glass is transparent, you won’t have to worry about finding the ideal railing shade to complement your decor. Thus, investing in a glass railing for the staircase would be wise as it does much beyond adding an aesthetic flair to your space.