How to View Email Headers from PST Files?
Need to know the headers of the emails in PST files, but don’t know how. This article will provide you with different ways to view email headers from PST files using verified methods in very simple steps. So, read the article to the end to avoid making any mistakes.
PST files are the proprietary file format of Outlook, where it stores emails, contacts, calendars, attachments, etc. It is only used on Windows systems, and it is located in your local storage. PST file is also called Outlook data file because whenever you download your Outlook data, it by default saves in PST. So, you don’t need to manually store the emails or other data in the PST file.
You can easily read your PST files in Outlook. You have to just click on the in-built import option, and your file will be open. But if you want to view the header information of the file, then this will be difficult for non-technical users. Not only that, it is also difficult for technical users as well because very few methods are available. So, here, we explain the methods in detail with their pros and cons as well.
Methods to View Email Headers from PST Files
To examine the headers in Outlook, there is the Properties option, which allows users to read the internet headers of the email. Therefore, if you have PST files on your computer, you can use the Outlook program to see the headers of PST files. Despite this, you can use a third-party tool to view and analyze your headers from multiple files at the same time. So to view the email headers, there are currently two methods.
- Manual method: examine headers by properties option in Outlook.
- Professional method: use a tool to open and view all the data smoothly.
Manual Method to Examine Headers in Outlook
This is a free and very easy way to see headers. If you have Outlook, then simply import your files into the program and view the information one by one.
- To open PST files, open the Outlook program and click on the File menu.
- Select the Open and Export option and then the Import/Export button.
- Click Import from a program and hit the Next button.
- Select Outlook Data File and click Next.
- Browse the location of your PST files and import them one by one.
- Now, to view headers, select the emails you want to see.
- Click on the File option, then the Properties option.
- In the properties window, you can see the headers of PST files in the Internet Header box.
Drawbacks of the Manual Method
While it works well to view your header, it has many issues that will not work for a long time.
- It does not allow you to see the headers of multiple PST files at the same time.
- There is no access to Outlook if your file is damaged or corrupted.
- Doesn’t have enough options to examine more of your file.
- This method is only available if you have an Outlook program.
Thus, you have to be careful when you are using this method. But if you have problems with this, you can use the second.
Professional Way to View Email Headers from PST Files
Manual methods work for a short time and for a few emails. If you have multiple emails or don’t have Outlook, then try to use the FreeViewer Outlook PST Viewer Tool. This software is one of the tools where you can view, read, or do analysis of your data very easily. You don’t have to do much; just open the file, and you can read the content of the file. Along with that, it also provides amazing features for the software.
Features of Software
- You can explore contacts, calendars, events, and many other items in the PST file.
- The software offers various preview modes like HEX, HTML, MIME, RTF, etc.
- A full preview of your multiple PST files with attachments.
- It maintains metadata and folder hierarchy throughout the time.
- The software has a scanning option to scan your file for any corruption issues.
Steps to Examine Headers in PST Files
- Download and install the software; go to the Add File option.
- Click on the Browse button to search your PST files. Hit the Advance scan option to scan your corrupt file. Click on the Add File option.
- Now the software has loaded your file, and it will be displayed on your screen.
- Click on From, To, Subject, etc. at the top of the list of emails to view email headers.
- Preview your file, and at the bottom left panel of the screen, click on Folder List, Contact, Calendar, etc.
- Click on the Switch View option to view the files horizontally and vertically.
- To export your file in PDF format or Print it, click on the Upgrade to Pro option.
In this article, we discuss how you can view email headers from PST files. You can use the Outlook program to view the file, but this method is not good. The software method, on the other hand, is the best one, as you can do things that you could not do with the manual method.